View and Download Script and Dialog Tools Poster
Last modified: April 2, 2008
TOPICS: ArcView 3.x, Script, Dialog, ODB, Project, View, Table, Extension
AUTHOR: Jeff Jenness, GIS Analyst
Description: This extension automates many of the functions I use regularly when I’m writing scripts or dialogs, plus provides several additional functions to most interfaces. In short, it offers the following:
1) Project tools: Tools to save all new scripts, dialogs, tools, buttons and menu items to an object database, and also to extract those objects into a new project. Includes a tool to open dialog editor documents (*.ded files) and a tool to copy complete documents (i.e. Views, Layouts, etc.) and to easily back up your project file.
2) Dialog tools: Tools to help you create, save and maintain dialogs, rearrange the control tab order, generate basic scripts and tedious code, and produce reports describing all aspects of your dialogs. Also generates several standard dialogs automatically.
Version 2.x of this extension also includes tools to help convert ArcView 3.x dialogs to Visual Basic 6 forms.
3) Script tools: Tools to compile all scripts, close all scripts, shrink all scripts, shrink individual scripts, and search all scripts for specified text. Also generates a variety of new scripts and code snippets automatically and generates reports describing interrelationships between scripts. Also provides keystroke shortcuts to shift script text to the right or left, comment/uncomment code, and select all text in the script. Also provides a tools to send you to a particular character location in your script, and to describe and number your script.
Version 2.0012 of this extension also includes tools to generate statistics on Visual Basic 6 projects.
4) Table tools: Tools to delete multiple fields, identify table source and linked table sources, describe field information, add record number fields and unjoin tables. Also generates code that would either find or make fields identical to those in the table. Also provides an “Unlink” button and tools to export and import tables from Excel.
5) View tools: Tools to show all theme legends, hide all theme legends, set all themes active or inactive, and generate graphic color bars of a theme legend to enhance layouts or legends. Also a button to undo the “Undo Zoom” function, and several tools to convert theme shape types and to convert graphics to themes.
Requires: This extension requires that the file "avdlog.dll" be present in the ArcView/BIN32 directory (or $AVBIN/avdlog.dll) and that the Dialog Designer extension be located in your ArcView/ext32 directory, which they usually are if you're running AV 3.1 or better. The Dialog Designer doesn't have to be loaded; it just has to be available. If you are running AV 3.0a, you can download the appropriate files for free from ESRI at:
Recommended Citation Format: For those who wish to cite this extension, the author recommends something similar to:
Jenness, J. 2007. Script and Dialog Tools (script_tools_jen.avx) extension for ArcView 3.x, v. 2.0010. Jenness Enterprises. Available at: http://www.jennessent.com/arcview/script_dialog_tools.htm.
Please let me know if you cite this extension in a publication (email@example.com). I will update the citation list to include any publications that I am told about.
For detailed instructions and discussion of updates, view on-line PDF version of Script and Dialog Tools Manual
Enjoy! Please contact the author if you have problems or find bugs.
Jeff Jenness firstname.lastname@example.org
Jenness Enterprises http://www.jennessent.com
3020 N. Schevene Blvd.
Flagstaff, AZ 86004
Please visit Jenness Enterprises ArcView Extensions site for more ArcView Extensions and other software by the author. We also offer customized ArcView-based GIS consultation services to help you meet your specific data analysis and application development needs.